2014年3月4日

What IBS has done for me



2 years ago, I took my vows as a Buddhist, by vows I mean take refuge in the Buddha, Dharma and the Sangha.  It has changed my life forever.  Before I took my vows I had a crazy monkey mind, reaction to everything was impulsive.  I lived in constant anger and I got angry one night and I hurt someone.  I lost control and I had no compassion.  I allowed my anger to dictate my life.  I played a lot of sports in my youth and had a good time.  It was an escape to an abusive situation I found myself IN.
So what is my current understanding of Buddhism.  As luck would have it, I already had a wide understanding in Buddhism, without knowing it.  I know thus far that Buddhism is more than a religion, my understanding of Buddhism was that it was just different I really had no formal idea of what it was.  I was drawn to it because of the quiet aspect of meditation.  It seem as those who practiced Buddhism had a certain calm in them.  I for one love the quiet,  loud noise is a distraction for me.  Unfortunately, I learn about Buddhism in prison, some how it was not so unfortunate.
Since I took my vows 2 years ago, I found it to be so much more.  My personality is such that I had already detached myself from the “world” by default, by my incarceration.  What I’ve come to find out is that “prison” is a defacto Monastery.  Within the last two years I’ve been a real fan, the logic, the nonlinear dynamic of Buddhism, The Dept.  My understanding is like a vast ocean and I could only hope to grasp it like a true Bodhisattva.
Thanks to IBS, Shirley Tam, Danny Tam, Ven Hueiguang and Ven Xian Zhong.  I am a better person.

With Metta
Micah Harris
President Gems of the Valley Sangha